Before diving deep into the sea of digital asset management systems, let me ask you a question, what is a digital asset? Well, digital asset is just like any other media viz video, document or photo. But then why a different terminology? The reason is digital assets come with a ‘right to use’ policy. In other words, digital assets are digital media files which contain a right to use with them. Use of digital assets is increasing exponentially, reason being we living in a digital age where content creation and content sharing is the trend.
Now that we understand digital assets and know that it’s growing exponentially, a question must have popped up in our mind. How companies manage such huge accretion of these assets? Well, that’s where DAM comes into play.
Digital Asset Management (DAM) offers an effective system that provides for storing, sharing and organizing of the digital content in a central location. In short, DAM is a complete solution for content sharing and storage demand of an enterprise.
Need of Digital Asset Management
One of the biggest problems faced by enterprises today is the plethora of digital content, and DAM provides what exactly is needed to combat this situation. Its benefit of storing the content centrally provides a quick access to all the departments and clients. It also increases security and searchability through the database, thereby empowering employees and saving time.
Benefits of Digital Asset Management
- Organizing digital assets in a central location
- Automating workflow and enhancing creativity
- Helps locating media files quickly
- Automating watermarking for images
- Permissions management through extensive copyright functionality
- Cloud functionality
- Tagging images automatically
- Usage of facial recognition
Different types of DAM software
Brand Asset Management systems
Focuses on sales and marketing materials e.g. logos, product images etc
Library Asset Management systems
This software type has its focus on the frequently changing media assets, handling their storage and retrieval.
Production Asset Management systems
This kind emphasizes on the storage, organization and revising control of frequently changing media.
Digital Supply Chain services
Focused on distribution of content to digital retailers.
Let’s see the Top 7 free Digital Asset Management Software
Adobe Experience Manager
Adobe Experience Manager is one of the most popular tools for digital asset management. It’s mostly used for designing, maintaining and customization of different types of websites by IT people and marketers.
- Capable of storing huge amounts of digital content.
- Inbuilt integration with various platforms like Email Marketing, e-commerce marketing for promoting brands etc.
- Creates and manages social media community.
- Sharing of digital content across various channels digitally & translation for multi-devices.
- Capable to tag managers, non-technical admins and digital asset managers.
- Easily searchable with metadata.
- Easy creation and upload of files and folders in AEM
- Needs more automation for maintenance like purging, re-indexing etc.
- Knowledge of Java is required.
- Sometimes too buggy.
- Awful design of OOB related components.
HyperCMS is used for management of both digital assets and content. It’s mainly used for content depository. Being an open-source CMS it’s used to store and maintain digital assets.
- Can be accessed anywhere.
- Support for mobile phones and tablets as well
- One can create content once and publish anytime, anywhere on the cloud.
- Fast and reliable.
- Easy integration with social media
- Support for mobile phones and tablets
- Large files can be sent without spamming the client’s mailbox
- Reduces the flexibility of websites
- Takes time to update
- Training is required for using the tool
OpenText is not only an on-premise but also a cloud-based solution. It helps in accomplishment of digital assets more proficiently. Decreases repetition, inefficiency and invalid assets that don’t meet values of brand.
- Centralized repository
- Self-service access
- Asset searching
- Content analysis
- Automatic extraction of key concepts
- Speech-to-text conversion
Reprtoir is an online suite that helps music publishers and record labels in centralizing their content, managing their rights and assist creative and administrative teams in their day-to-day tasks.
- Managing and sharing playlists with your contacts.
- Manage contracts and royalty splits.
- Management of tracks and albums
The software is free of cost.
ResourceSpace is an open Source DAM system. Trusted by 250,000 users globally across organizations like Coca Cola, Toyota Google and Autotrader.
Providing 24/7, multilingual, unlimited user, mobile & web enabled access to help marketing professionals get the most from their digital assets. Though it is an open source tool but you’d need to pay for support.
- Asset categorization
- Customizable branding
- Available as a mobile app
- Clean and highly customizable interface
- Plug-in support
- Slightly difficult to navigate through
- Doesn’t offer more advanced features, like image/video editing, graphical workflow engine
Pimcore DAM, again an open-source DAM system, offers a single and centralized platform to enterprises. It consolidates, manages and shares digital assets.
- Incorporates a powerful central repository
- Boasts a multi-tab interface
- Configurable metadata management technology
- Audio content
- Customizable templates
- Image editor
- SEO management
- Flexible and extendable framework
- Easy for developers to add customized features
- Requires various customizations
It is an open source DAM software. You can view, share, archive, publish an unlimited number of media files like videos, images, audio, documents etc. from any standard web browser.
- Asset categorization
- Workflow management
- Metadata management
- Asset sharing
- Intuitive interface
- Not available as a mobile app
- No customizable branding
- No file conversion
Besides the top 7 free DAM software mentioned, once can also avail some other top rated DAM software. The catch here is that they’ll be paid.
Top 5 paid DAM systems
Adobe Experience Manager Assets
In Adobe’s DAM users can manage all the content and assets through a single platform. By streamlining collaborative processes it allows marketers in working together more efficiently. Equipped with AI capabilities and data-driven insights, it can easily identify the content which is achieving a higher ROI.
Bynder uses AWS services which enables scalability and performance. Bynder offers on demand publishing features which give access to a smart template tool to users. This access helps in creating branded materials such as advertisements, business cards and banners.
Canto offers a gallery-style interface and also allows you to preview visual content. Users can run numerous reports to examine the performance of the content. Also, using admin dashboard is a piece of cake.
Armed with AI capabilities, Cloudinary’s DAM assists you in tagging assets. Setting the automatic tagging feature by color, object and facial recognition really works well. Manipulation of assets stored here can be done in real-time.
CELUM’s DAM comes with full integration and can be easily connected to other systems. This DAM solution offers a platform for searching, uploading, sharing and managing files. Work-in-progress feature enables automation and tracking the process becomes an easy job via its task management feature.
Recommended For You: